There is little nutritious about these biscuits. However, they can be made with 50% whole wheat flour so that they are not quite so unhealthy. They are delicious. They are buttery. They are very easy to make.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter or 1/2 cup vegetable shortening, cold
1 1/2 cups buttermilk*
* If you don’t have buttermilk you can make some by adding 1-1/2 Tbs lemon juice to 12 ounces of milk. Stir and wait five minutes.
1. Preheat the oven to 450°F.
2. In a mixing bowl, add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, cream of tartar, and salt. Stir the dry ingredients together.
3. Make sure you are using cold butter or shortening, and cut into the dry mixture with a pastry blender, fork or knife method. The mixture will have a coarse crumb consistency when you are ready for the next step.
4. Pour in the buttermilk, and stir just until everything is blended. Take care not to overmix.
5. Drop Biscuit Pan method: If you have a drop biscuit pan, spoon in the dough into each well, filling it pretty full. I used a 7 well cast-iron pan. If you don’t have a pan – see the next step.
6. Skillet or Griddle method: Mound the dough into about 7 biscuits onto your griddle or in your skillet.
7. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown.