This. Is. Incredible.
Every single bite will make your mouth sing and your body and soul feel nourished.
That is a tall order for something that sounds so boring as a wheat berry salad. So, you are going to have to trust me on this and just go ahead and make it. It is equally fantastic warm or room temperature, though I do not like it as much straight out of the fridge.
The ingredient list is very forgiving. Don’t like parsley — skip it. Want to add corn? Go for it.
For those who do not know what wheat berries are, they are the things one grinds to make whole wheat flour, or plant to grow wheat. They can be found in the bulk food aisle at Whole Foods, or packaged by Bob’s Red Mill and may be available at your regular supermarket. Of course, they can also be purchased on Amazon.
- 1 1/2 cups hard wheat berries
- 3/4 cup chopped walnut
- 2-3 stalks celery, finely chopped
- ½ red bell pepper chopped.
- 1/2 cup tart dried cherries or cranberries, chopped
- 2 scallion, white and green parts, chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped parsley leaves
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- In your Instant Pot: Add 4 ½ cups water to 1-1/2 cups berries. High pressure 30 minutes followed by 10 minute natural release. Drain the wheat berries.*
- While cooking the wheat berries, toast the walnuts in a dry skillet over medium-high heat until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Then prepare the remaining ingredients.
- In a large bowl, combine the wheat berries, walnuts, celery, dried cherries, scallions, parsley, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, and lemon juice. Add chopped bell peppers if you like.
- Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
*No pressure cooker? Then, in a large pot combine the wheat berries and enough water to come 2 inches over the wheat berries. Bring to a boil and cook uncovered for 1 hour, or until tender, and drain.
Assuming 6 servings (and it may make less, so multiply everything by six and then divide by however many servings you get out of it):